Ferritin (also part of our Initial Anti-Aging Screening Test Panel).
- Studies show too much iron (reflected by ferritin level) can increase risk for heart disease. Every 1% rise in serum ferritin causes 4% elevation in risk of MI*.
- Can increase oxidation of LDL.
- Use Vitamin C with caution (Vit C increases iron absorption)#
When too high, donate blood.
Previous studies submit that some metals, including iron, accumulate in human tissues during aging and that toxic levels of iron have been linked to neurologic diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. Gordon Lithgow, from Buck Institute for Research on Aging (California, USA), and colleagues employed Caenorhabditis elegans (roundworm) to study the role of iron accumulation in the aging process. The researchers fed young roundworms (4 days old) iron, observing that they aged within a few days (to look like 15-day old worms). As well, the team administered CaEDTA, an FDA-approved metal chelator (used in humans to treat lead poisoning), observing that the agent not only slowed the age-related accumulation of iron, but it extended the healthspan and lifespan of the worms. Observing that: “Increased dietary iron significantly accelerated the age-related accumulation of insoluble protein, a molecular pathology of aging,” the study authors submit that “these results suggest that a loss of metallostasis with aging contributes to age-related protein aggregation. (http://www.worldhealth.net/news/iron-accelerates-aging/)
*Sullivan, ., et al., “The iron paradigm of ischemic heart disease,” Am Heart J. 1989; 118(5):1177-88.
#Hallberg, L., et all., “The role of vitamin C in iron absorption.” Int J Vitam Nutr Res Suppl. 1989;30:103-8.
Lipoprotein (a), another item of our Initial Anti-Aging Screening Test Panel, is a small cholesterol particle that causes inflammation and can clog blood vessels. Research* shows that people with high lipoprotein (a) have a 70% higher risk of developing heart disease over 10 years.
Statin drug (which depletes CoQ10, the latter is often supplemented) may cause lipoprotein (a) to increase, which should be monitored for patients on statin drugs.
How to lower Lipoprotein (a)?
- Vit C (2-4 gm)
- CoQ-10 (120 mg)
- L-carnitine (1-2 gm)
- DHA (1-2 gm)
- Niacin (1-2 gm) (most effective, however it may increase LFT)
- L-lysine (500 -1000 mg)
- L-proline (500-1000 mg)
- Flax seed
- When all above fail, Vit C 2gm/day +Nanokinase bid to prevent blood clots. However, the combo doesn’t lower lipoprotein (a).
*Danesh J, et al., “Lipoprotein (a) and Coronary artery disease, ” Circulation 2000;102:1082-1085.
Fibrinogen is a clotting factor that increases as estrogen decreases and also with smokers. Elevated levels of fibrinogen can cause heart attack. Fibrinogen is part of our Initial Anti-Aging Screening Panel.
What to do with elevated fibrinogen? You can use the following anti-inflammatory foods and supplements.
- Estrogen replacement for women (BHRT)
- Coldwater fish
- Vit E
- Green tea
What is Anti-Aging Medicine?
Anti-Aging Medicine is a clinical/medical specialty and field of scientific research aimed at the early detection, prevention, treatment, and reversal of age-related decline. It is well documented by peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals and employs evidence-based methodologies to conduct patient assessments. The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine was established in 1997 as a professional physician certification and review board, which offers physician recognition in the form of specialty-based examination in Anti-Aging Medicine. Paraprofessionals may also now certify in Anti-Aging Medicine by a difference test in this newest and fastest growing medical specialty which represents over 14,000 physicians, scientists, and other health professionals, and the health-minded public from 73 countries worldwide.
What is Regenerative Medicine?
Regenerative Medicine optimizes the body’s endogenous mechanisms of self-repair and adds proven and near future exogenous treatments and technologies. Adult stem cells appear to be our most powerful tool at this time. Previous dogma concerning adult stem cells taught that neurons and myocytes did not have stem cells and the cells present at birth just declined in quantity and quality. It was also believed that hematopoietic stem cells in the bone marrow lacked plasticity and could not transform to other tissues. Current medical literature proves that adult stem cells exist in most tissues including brain, heart, muscles and liver. Hematopoietic stem cells (HSC) and endothelial progenitor cells (EPC) in the bone marrow have plasticity to potentially transform and repair all tissues and organs.
● In the hormone optimization component of Anti-Aging Medicine we are already optimizing stem cells. Progesterone via its metabolite allopregnenolone stimulates neural stem cells, testosterone stimulates muscle stem cells and EPC’s which can improve erectile function, and growth hormone treatment for adult growth hormone deficiency improves the quantity and quality of EPC’s. Estradiol improves incorporation and mobilization of EPC’s.
● In the lifestyle component of Anti-Aging medicine we are optimizing our adult stem cells with exercise and control of glucose and insulin.
● In the nutraceutical component of Anti-Aging Medicine we are optimizing our adult stem cells with Resveratrol as we turn on genes such as SIR1 and with blueberry, green tea and vitamin D3. DHA in omega 3 fish oil promotes neurogenesis from neuronal stem cells
A new phase of Regenerative Medicine has recently commenced with cryogenic preservation of adult stem cells in healthy patients for future use. These patients are the same pro-active population who follow Anti-Aging programs. After stimulation with granulocyte colony stimulating factor adult stem cells can be collected by aphaeresis and stored in separate aliquots for treatment of specific pathologies such as acute myocardial infarction or for overall immune system reconstitution. This paradigm shift is referred to as bio-insurance.
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is an integrative, science-based healthcare approach that treats illness and promotes wellness by focusing on the bio-chemically unique aspects of each patient, and then individually tailoring interventions to restore physiological, psychological, and structural balance.
Functional Medicine focuses on understanding the fundamental physiological processes, the environmental inputs, and the genetic predispositions that influence health and disease so that interventions are focused on treating the cause of the problem, not just masking the symptoms.
There are seven basic principles underlying functional medicine which include the following:
● Science-based medicine that connects the emerging research base to clinical practice.
● Biochemical individuality based on genetic and environmental uniqueness.
● Patient-centered care rather than disease-focused treatment.
● Dynamic balance of internal and external factors that affect total functioning.
● Web-like interconnections among the body’s physiological processes also affect every aspect of functionality.
● Health as a positive vitality, not merely the absence of disease.
● Promotion of organ reserve.
Source: American Academy of Anti-Aging & Regenerative Medicine (A4M).
Dr. Richard Cheng is A4M Fellowship-trained and certified and is currently enrolled in the A4M’s Regenerative Medicine/Stem Cell Fellowship truing.
C-Reactive Protein (CRP-hs) is part of our Initial Anti-Aging Screening Test Panel.
- Elevated due to previous infection
- Chlamydia, herpes, CMV can cause inflammation and plaque formation.
- Is an anti-body like substance.
- Predictive of future MI even if cholesterol is normal.
- Elevated CRP-hs (high sensitivity) was found to be the strongest of 12 markers for heart attach, in a study involving 28,263 female patients.*
- Periodontal disease causes heart attack (elevates CRP).
How to lower CRP?
- Baby ASA, 81 mg, daily
- Essential fatty acids
- Quercetin as a supplement
- Natural Cox-2 inhibitors
- Grapeseed extract (100 – 200 mg)
- Curcumin (300 – 600 mg)
- Green tea (3 cups or 3 caps/day)
- Statin drugs
- ACE inhibitors
*Ridker, ., et al., “C-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation in the production of cardiovascular disease in women,” NEJM 2000;342:836-843.
Homocysteine (part of our Initial Anti-Aging Screening Test Panel) is a major risk factor heart disease and stroke. It’s also a risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, osteoporosis, neuropsychiatric disorders, etc. Homocysteine is toxic to the blood vessel walls in the heart and the brain, causing endothelial dysfunction, oxidative stress/free radicals, neuronal DNA damage, cerebral microangiopathy, apoptosis of neural cells and mitochondrial membrane damage.
Factors that may cause homocysteine level to increase: toxins, medications, age, smoking, hypothyroidism, renal failure or hereditary. The ideal level of homocysteine is 7-10 umol/L (6-8 is the optimal level).
If too high:
- Folic acid 800 mcg
- Vit B6 40 mg
- Vit B12 200 mcg daily
- Betaine HCL (Trimethylglycine) 500 – 1000 mg
- MTHF (active form of folic acid)
- Garlic 1000 mg
- SAMe 400 mg
- Beets, broccoli
Too low: too low a level is usually associated with over methylation.
Cholesterol is made soluble by bile acids, which help to enhance the digestion and absorption of dietary fats, making bile one of the major routes for the elimination of dietary cholesterol from the body. Ingested as part of the diet or derived from synthesis in the liver, cholesterol, together with bile acids, is conjugated to an amino acid and actively secreted into the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Lipitrol includes nutrients that work in synergy to support healthy blood fats and maintain healthy cholesterol levels. The blend of ingredients in Lipitrol enhances the body’s natural cholesterol removal process by increasing the formation of bile and helping the liver to obtain more cholesterol from the serum. Sytrinol, one of Lipitrol’s key ingredients, is a potent blend of polymethoxylated flavones, citrus flavonoids, and tocotrienols from palm fruit extract. All of these ingredients help to support cholesterol metabolism, provide antioxidant benefits, and maintain a balanced inflammatory response. Other key ingredients include 200 mg of chromium as a patented chromiumniacin complex, 500 mg of gugul (2.5% gugulsterones), and 150 mg of artichoke leaf extract. Guar gum, a unique fiber, is also included to help bind bile in the GI tract, ensuring full cholesterol excretion.
2 capsules per day or as recommended by your health care professional. For best results, consult your health care professional about using Fiber Plus with Lipitrol.
The Core Restore Kit is a strategic system designed to safely enhance and promote the primary pathways of detoxification in the liver. The Core Restore kit provides three active formulas – Core Support, Alpha Base, and PhytoCore – which function synergistically to support Phase I and Phase II pathways of liver detoxification to help neutralize environmental pollutants, hormone disruptors, unhealthy estrogen metabolites, xenoestrogens (synthetic compounds that imitate estrogen), and other harmful toxins. This powerful trio of specialized formulas provides essential micronutrients, phytonutrients, and a source of easily digested, low-allergen protein that purifies the liver and fuel optimal biotransformation.
- Revitalizes Liver Health and Supports Natural Detoxification Mechanisms
- Focuses on Both Phases of Liver Detoxification
- Provides Micronutrients, Phytonutrients, and Cofactors that Support Detoxification of Xenobiotics and Xenoestrogens
- Supports Healthy Estrogen Metabolism
- Increases Antioxidant Protection and Glutathione Production
- Promotes Gastrointestinal Health
The Core Restore Kit is an easy-to-follow, 7-day program, complete with an in-depth Patient Handbook, designed to reduce the incoming burden of toxins and help restore optimal health.
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC): This sulfhydryl-containing amino acid is commonly used to support liver health. Supplementation with NAC has been shown to increase circulating levels of glutathione, an antioxidant that plays a major role in protecting cellular health.
- Lipoic acid: A potent antioxidant, lipoic acid has been shown to increase glutathione, vitamin E and vitamin C levels in the body. It has been shown to support Phase II detoxification by increasing the activity of enzymes.
- Silymarin (milk thistle seed extract): An annual plant indigenous to Europe and the United States, milk thistle has been used for centuries as a botanical medicine to support liver health. Silymarin is the biologically active component found int he seeds and leaves of this plant. Silymarin provides several liver-protective effects, including inhibiting lipid perioxidation and protecting against glutathione depletion.
- Turmeric (curcumin): Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, has been shown to support the body’s antioxidant and detoxification pathways. Curcumin elevates cellular levels of glutathione, one of the body’s major antioxidants that protects cells against free radical damage.
Alpha Base Capsules Without Iron
- Alpha Base provides excellent mineral sources and a 2:1 magnesium to calcium ratio
- The fully reacted minerals used in this formula have a high assimilation rate in the body
- Alpha Base includes high levels of antioxidants, which reduce free radical damage in the body
Clinical research shows that cardiovascular health strategies should address multiple metabolic factors in order to achieve optimal wellness. In addition to maintaining healthy lipid levels, cardiovascular wellness is also driven by many metabolic factors, including blood sugar control, blood pressure, inflammatory balance and the profile of lipoproteins synthesized by the liver. CM Core offers multidimensional support for cardiovascular and metabolic health. Among their numerous benefits, berberine and MegaNatural® BP grape seed extract activate genes that regulate lipid and glucose utilization, support healthy liver function and aid in maintaining insulin sensitivity.
CM Core, a formula backed by extensive clinical research, is designed to address several factors for optimal cardiometabolic health. The powerful combination of berberine and MegaNatural® BP (a premium grape seed extract) addresses healthy heart function, healthy blood pressure, and healthy lipid and glucose levels. The far-reaching effects of CM Core provide a comprehensive formula for those seeking to optimize their cardiovascular and metabolic health.
3 capsules per day or as recommended by your health care professional
Maintaining healthy blood sugar (glucose) levels can often pose a challenge. The foods consumed today most often highly processed and refined, have excessive sugar and carbohydrate levels, and offer very little in the way of nutrients and fiber. Additionally, genetic predisposition, high stress levels and an inadequate exercise regimen can make it even more difficult to maintain adequate blood sugar levels. Healthy blood sugar regulation requires that a number of metabolic factors work at optimal capacity. This delicate balance of blood sugar levels is crucial for regulating the body’s production of storage energy and fuel.
Diaxinol is a natural and synergistic formula for maintaining balanced blood sugar. Diaxinol’s unique and effective formulation includes five ingredients provided at targeted doses for maximum efficacy. Lipoic acid is a potent antioxidant that supports insulin regulation, glucose utilization and microcirculation throughout the body. Cinnulin®, a patented 20:1 aqueous cinnamon extract supports both balanced glucose metabolism and healthy blood lipid levels. Chromium is added to support glucose tolerance factor production, a critical component in cellular uptake of glucose, and Gymnema sylvestre (gymnema leaf extract) helps modulate glucose absorption in the intestines. Biotin and vanadyl sulfate are also included to support optimal insulin sensitization.
2 capsules per day or as recommended by your health care professional